Making a suggestion or compliment.

We welcome suggestions and compliments about our services.

You can email us on or write to us at Cockermouth Town Council, Town Hall, Market Street, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9NP

Making a complaint

If you wish to complain about one of our services please contact Sheila Brown, Town Clerk in the first instance.  You can email Sheila on or write to her at Cockermouth Town Council, Town Hall, Market Street, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9NP

If, after dealing with Sheila you still have a complaint about a council service or feel that you have been unjustly treated, then you can let Cockermouth Town Council know via our formal complaints procedure.  We have a policy for dealing with complaints.

Complaints Procedure

  • If you are dissatisfied with something Cockermouth Town Council has done, let us know in writing
  • Say clearly what was wrong and tell us what you think we should do to put things right
  • Your complaint will be acknowledged within 5 working days. We will tell you who is to investigate, how to get in touch with them and when you may expect our response to your complaint
  • We will try and resolve your complaint within 10 working days. If this is not possible we will tell you when you might expect our formal answer.  We will stay in touch with you until we have answered your complaint.

When we investigate we may find that Cockermouth Town Council has acted properly.  We shall explain the details.

If we have made a mistake or acted wrongly, we shall tell you.  We will try to put matters right and we will work to ensure others do not have the same experience.

Complaint Stages

Your complaint will be investigated in the first instance by Sheila Brown, Town Clerk.

If you remain dissatisfied you must let us know within three weeks of receiving a response and your complaint will be escalated to Cockermouth Town Council for review and response.

The Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman is responsible for handling complaints against principal authorities and some other public sector organisations which do not include local councils.

New Ombudsman for Town and Parish Councils?

Proposals to replace the Local Government Ombudsman with the Public Services Ombudsman include coverage for Town and Parish Councils.

Currently local councils do not have a regulatory body or Ombudsman.  This leaves complaints about local councils largely within the self-regulatory framework of internal complaints procedures unless there is a matter subject to specific regulations such as criminal or financial wrongdoing.

Members conduct

Allerdale Borough Council is responsible for handling complaints that relate to a member’s failure to comply with the town council’s code of conduct.