Town Twinning – Cockermouth & Marvejols
36th Anniversary Visit to Marvejols
A coach will be leaving Main Street Cockermouth at 12.01am on Saturday 19th October for a visit to Marvejols to celebrate the 36th anniversary of the twinning of our two towns. Any person(s) from any local organisation or private individual(s) are welcome to participate in this visit and the cost will be approximately £300 per person subject to the coach being full.
Overnight stays will be made in central Paris on both the outward and return journeys in shared accommodation and some meals will be provided en route. Anyone requiring single rooms in Paris will however be required to pay a supplement of £60.
Whilst in Marvejols a full programme will be organised by the Marvejolais and, as usual, accommodation will be with a French family. I am sure if past anniversary visits are anything to go by it will be an enjoyable experience.
The date of the visit coincides with school half term so if any parents wish to take their youngsters they are more than welcome to do so. Regretfully there are no reductions for children as the coach, hotel and meal costs are not reduced by the charging establishments.
If anyone is interested in joining the group they should contact me as soon as possible as seats are sold on a first come, first served basis. A non refundable deposit of £75 per person is required to make a definite booking.
For more information contact, Sheila Brown on 01900 821869 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Project Grant
Our twin town of Marvejols has received a youth project grant to receive six – ten 16-19 year olds from Cockermouth between 19/7/19 – 28/7/19.
Participants will stay with a French family of similar age and meet young disabled persons from Montrodat for a fun filled week.
The Marvejols twining committee will organise accommodation, the itinerary and collection from the airport, all participants will need to pay for is their own flights.
If you are interested or require more information, please contact the Town Clerk, Sheila Brown on 01900 821869.
The following exchanges have taken place since 1983.
Cockermouth won the Europe Prize in 2000 here is a list of other Europe Prize Winners
68 School Exchanges comprising:
- 58 – Comprehensive Schools
- 4 – Elementary Schools
- 1 – Student Nurses from West Cumbria College
- 5 – Agricultural College Classes
- 23 Sports Visits including:
- 8 – Football Association
- 10 – Rugby Union
- 5 – Runners
- 7 – Parties of Walkers
- 6 – Parties of Majorettes
- 3 – Parties of Motor Cyclists
- 3 – Parties of Cyclists
- 8 – Choirs
- 6 – Theatre Groups
- 5 – Bands
- 3 – Parties of Modern Dance
- 2 – Parties of Artists
- 1 – Party of Shopkeepers
- 7 – Parties of Farmers
- 17 – Parties of Rotarians
- 33 – Visits of adults & officials including representatives of Policemen, Firemen and other Civic Officials for commemoration of anniversaries/special occasions/other miscellaneous
- 10 – Visits re European Awards including the Europe Prize & Association of Towns Awarded the Europe Prize
- 1 – Party re Inauguration of Marvejols Park in Cockermouth
- 3 – Army Visits for ‘Commando Raids’
- 6 – Parties of Folk Dancers
- 14 – Parties of People with Learning Difficulties
- 1 – Party of North Lozeriens FNACA
- 1 – Party of Scouts
- 228 – group exchanges in all to which must be added 100 individual language visits of approximately a month for students, plus many other private individuals giving an estimated total of about 10,000 people in all.