During 2019/20 Highways England are delivering a series of highway improvement
schemes on the A66 in West Cumbria. The improvements will deliver safer, more reliable
journeys along a section of the A66 between Cockermouth and Workington. The main
works at A66/A595 Great Clifton Roundabout were completed in December 2019.
A66 / A595 Fitz Roundabout
- Works will begin at Fitz Roundabout on 6 January 2020 for 12 weeks.
- There will be a 24-hour speed restriction in place for the duration of the works.
- Day-time works will be undertaken in the verge areas only.
- From 13 January 2020 works will also be carried out overnight from 8pm until 6am.
- During the night-time works, 3-way temporary traffic lights will be in operation at
the roundabout, and C2068 Low Road will be closed in both directions from Fitz
Roundabout to Parklands Drive.
- Pedestrian access and access for emergency vehicles, residents and businesses
will be maintained.
- Bus services will not be affected by the overnight works.
Towards the end of the programme, whilst resurfacing works are carried out, work will
also be carried out under 2-way temporary traffic lights with closure of both the A595 and
C2068 Low Road. We will write to you again about the resurfacing works once dates have
If you require any further information, please contact the Highways England customer
contact centre by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 0300 123 5000.